Health and Safety in the classroom
Here are some key points to consider and obey before and while operating any machine or working in the metal work room.
· Always wear eye protection (goggles/visor)
· Always wear ear protection
· Tie back any loose hair or clothing, ties etc.
· Remove any jewellery
· Bags and coats are to be neatly put away.
· Never distract the person working with hand tools or power tools.
· Never enter the exclusion zone set out for that machine
· Make sure leads are not left lying around for others to trip and fall over
· If oil, water or any liquid is spilled on the floor it must be cleared up immediately.
· Ensure tools have completely stopped and is unplugged before trying to replace bits, blades etc.
· Never use a machine until you have received adequate training on it and also have permission to use it.
· Most important thing to learn about a machine is the quickest way of stopping it.
· Never use a machine unless the teacher is in the room to supervise you
· Never use a machine if you feel it may be faulty.
· Keep machines and the area around them neat and tidy.
· Never remove swarf with your bare hands as it can be sharp and easily cut.
· All injuries no matter how slight should be reported immediately.
· Breakages and damage to equipment should be reported.
· All hand tools must have proper handles.
· Keep the bench neat and tidy with the tools laid out in an orderly fashion.
· Use spanners wrenches that are a good fit on nuts bolts and other objects.
· Do not tamper with or attempt to repair any electrical equipment.
· Bring any damaged tools to the attention of the teacher.
· And always think “Safety First”